Saturday, 20 April 2013

Felt Sun Pattern


I'd promised a bumble bee for today, but then found out that the theme for May's Le Challenge is wings! I think mister bee will want to be part of the fun, so he's staying out of the spotlight for a little while longer. Instead, sitting at my desk on a dark grey day and watching more snow fall outside, I decided to share some sun. Maybe this will encourage it to come out? It seems to be working so far!

Click HERE to download the free sun template!

This image can be resized to make anything from a tiny sun pin to a large sun stuffie. If you would prefer a PDF version of the pattern, it's available through Craftsy HERE.

I added a string for hanging my sun:

This is a really simple pattern, somewhat inspired by the Super Mario Sunshine sun. It's nice and cheery, and has a thousand potential uses. For example, it can be combined with my felt cloud and felt raindrop patterns to make a really cute mobile for littl'uns.

With a few simple modifications, I think this design could be turned into a black hole at the centre of a galaxy. I can't imagine that a sewing pattern for that exists yet, so I'll do my best to make it happen.


Here are some other sun inspired projects to light up your day:

Sew4home's bright and modern Here Comes the Sun throw pillow is the kind of thing you'd see on a home decor magazine cover shot, and the pattern looks really easy. (If any of my furniture matched, I'd consider making one of these to accent it.)

Wee Folk Art have designed templates for a Sunburst Applique and a Sun and Moon Applique Block, both of which look great in felt and would work just as well in a more traditional quilt.

For a smaller project, you can't go wrong with a sun ornament. Try this Happy Little Sun ornament with crocheted rays and embroidered features, or this Sun Child summer solstice ornament from Twig and Toadstool.

I'll be back next week with some spring bird craft info!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! The sun makes me smile - Not just because it is cute, but because it does nod at Mario a bit and we all know I have a Mario problem. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete