The first colour I tackled for the month was cyan. I used the Mood Block design from the Pile O'Fabric Skill Builder BOM. This is the second block I've made recently from the Pile O'Fabric series, and I love both! I don't think you could make a full quilt out of this block, but as a one-off, it's really modern and cool.
This block was made to accompany my cyan Colour My World Challenge block from last year, which was an experiment in image fracturing. I added some sashing to make it the right size.
I also worked with white this month. For this one, I combined some improvisational piecing with the red heart pillow template by Noodlehead. I found this pattern around Valentines Day, and wanted to try it as a test of my curve piecing skills. I usually find white to be a bit boring, so shifting the focus from the white fabric to the graphic cut-out design worked well for me.
This wasn't the most successful block, since the polka dot stripes on both sides ended up being in almost the same position, without quite lining up. This makes it look more like an alignment mistake than the fun improvisational mismatch I was aiming for. On the bright side, it does go well with its colour challenge companion block, a white improvised chevron, which got some sashing to match.
This brings the total of blocks ready for quilting to twelve, in six different colours. I plan to quilt them all individually using techniques from the Free Motion Quilting Project, as well as Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting a Sampler Craftsy course. Here is what they look like so far!