On Thursday I drew the design I wanted, and figured out the cutting and piecing instructions. Friday I picked out the fabric and cut out all of my pieces. Saturday I pieced the block. It's a robot!
|(pattern will be made available for download eventually)|
His heart is appliquéed by hand.
Sunday I added borders, basted the quilt using my scrappy batting, and started looking around the Free Motion Quilting Project for some robotic quilting designs. And wouldn't you know it, Leah had exactly the thing I was looking for! It's an echoing design called cogs. This is my sample block:
On Monday, I got to work filling the body of my robot with cogs. It took longer than I expected, but it's fun and whimsical. Here's what I've got so far:
The purple background will be filled with less visible circuit board stitching in black to emphasize the robot. I'm looking forward to working on that next weekend.
In the meantime, I've been thinking a lot about the Groove Quilt top I put together last summer. It's not like me to leave a project unfinished, and I had specifically planned to complete it over the winter so that we could use it this summer. The sheer size of this one has been overwhelming though.
I haven't found a practical way to go about basting something of this size, and even if I did, I'm not all that confident that I would be able to quilt it on my small sewing machine. The largest quilt I've put through my little Kenmore was only a third this size, and it was a nightmare of thread breaks. If I started quilting something this big and realized the machine couldn't take it, I'd be stuck putting it aside indefinitely, or taking out all of the quilting in order to bring it to a long-arm quilter. (Which could potentially take longer than putting it together did in the first place, and would cost a lot.)
So here is my idea... I could cut it into six pieces, quilt the pieces individually, and then reassemble it. The joins would be visible, and probably wouldn't compliment the design, but at least it would be a usable blanket! I can't decide if it's a good idea, or a crazy thing to do to a project I care about...
Before I do anything drastic, I'm going to investigate whether it's possible to sew quilted pieces together with an invisible join (and not requiring any extra seam allowance, since this top has already been put together without any extra fabric). Wish me luck!