Friday, 18 January 2013

Felt Owl Pattern


Owls are majestic creatures, and definitely among my favourite dinosaurs! Despite having a roommate who worked with them at a biological research station, I've never actually seen one up close. Luckily, the internets are full of owls, and given their recent popularity, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a few felt ones.

Click HERE to download the free pattern .


There are tons of owl patterns available out there, and I don't claim that mine is the best or fanciest. It is, however, simple, clear, and adaptable, which are things I look for in a pattern. The pattern image can be resized to make anything from a tiny owl pin to a large owl pillow. A PDF of the pattern is also available on Craftsy HERE (PDFs can't be resized though).

I know what you are thinking. "How do I accessorize my owl?" If you want to cute it up, you'll be happy to know that it has just enough space to hold a heart or flower between its wings. If you prefer to go the other way, I recommend giving it talons to hold its favourite mouse-a-licious snack.


Want more adorable and free owl project ideas?

Check out the tutorials and patterns for Toad Treasures' super easy stuffed owl, or Remodelaholic's huggable owl cushion.

The lovely Kim & Kris of DIY Dish have also put out a great webshow on making owl pincushions, and this HomeLife article teaches you How to sew a baby felt owl, which would also make a great pincushion!

Try stuffing your owl with catnip for a fun cat toy, like The Enchanted Rose has done, or fill a bunch with rice or beans to make a bean bag game. And have you seen these great owl purses made by Gingercake?

For next week's Felt Pattern Friday, I'll be sticking with the woodland theme, and sharing the pattern for a badger. Be sure to check it out!

5 comments:

  1. These little owls are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love it! The bright blue body looks great there! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your sweet little felt patterns! I'd love for you to come link up to our party where we can show off all of our old or new projects! :)
    http://www.cutesycrafts.com/2013/03/an-oldie-but-goodie-10.html- Jessica

    ReplyDelete