I came up with a design for the back of my Groove Quilt before I'd even started the front of it. It's inspired by some vintage fabric I found at Mitchell Fabrics in Winnipeg this summer. You may remember this photo of the fabric with my original sketch:
Once sewn together, this comes to an overall size of 105 inches square (8.75 feet!) and looks really groovy indeed. I haven't seen it fully laid out yet. It's been very windy this past week, so I wasn't able to take it outside, and it's bigger than the available floor space anywhere in the house. What I did instead was photograph two blocks and create a composite.
|This will be the back - pictures of the front side are in my last post here|
So my question for you is: how would you baste something this big?
I really like the idea of doing it in sections on a table using binder clips, but all of our larger tables seem to be either really thick or have rounded edges. The coffee table is a a contender, but it's pretty small. Alternatively, the wonderful folks on Flickr have suggested this basting technique by Sharon Schamber using two boards. I am also considering this method, but without the boards. I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to the basting step at all. I wish it was over with so that I could get on with the fun part.
One thing I noticed once all of the blocks had been sewn was a rip in my vintage fabric. It looks like this happened on the manufacturing end, since there are traces of a very faded quality assurance stamp right next to the hole. This small unplanned imperfection actually gave me the chance to add a really fun vintage touch to the quilt. With a little bit of crazy stitching, I gave it the look of having been darned by a grandmother. I love that detail.
I've also been putting together some samples on which to try quilting designs. On this first one, I tested three different colours of thread: off-white on the top, grey in the middle, and black on the bottom.
The grey thread in the middle is the definite winner on the lighter colours, and the black thread looks best on the dark fabrics. The only two colour/design combinations that really worked here are the loops on orange, and the stippling on green. I'll be using these in the quilt for sure.
I've prepared another practice piece with the other three colours in order to test some more combinations this week. I'm looking for a design that will be fast and soft. Eventually, all of these practice squares will be turned into a cushion to match the finished quilt using Leah Day's technique for connecting quilted pieces