Once the ink had been heat set, we sewed on a thin binding to hide the raw edges. The completed label was to be sewn by hand into the pillowcase.
The fact that I still have this label lying around, months after giving away the pillowcase, pretty much sums up how I feel about this labelling method.
My quilts are not being entered into shows, so in theory I don't see the harm in writing directly on them. In fact, the option that I find most interesting is to completely integrate your label by making a small white square part of the piecing, and then writing on it. However this isn't always practical.
I would like to identify each of my animal rescue blankets with a label allowing the families who adopt the cats to read their story. Since the blankets are flannel it isn't possible to write directly on them, so I've adapted Leah Day's quilt tag method to suit this project.
By sewing it on this way, the thread outline will show on the front of the blanket, but it saves a lot of work and in this case I sincerely don't think the cats will mind. Here is a look at the back of the blanket with its tag.
Writing on fabric always takes longer than I think it will, but now that I've got the first label done, and it looks good, I'm a little bit more motivated to start making labels for the nine other blankets.