Wednesday, 13 June 2012

My Bubblegum Book Bag


In the past, I haven't had much luck making bags, but I was motivated to try again with all the sewing experience I've gained over the past year. The Summer Sewing Contest at Ellison Lane Quilts and Sew Sweetness' Purse Palooza have provided great inspiration to come up with something cool of my own design.

This bag is made from one large quilted panel with Ikea fabric on the outside, coordinating polka dots on the inside, and a layer of batting in between. Both of the fabrics were sent to me by Kris at Duke Says Sew What. Thanks Kris! How cool is this print?


When we last left off (here) I had sewed myself into a bit of a corner by leaving all the exposed seams on the outside of the bag, but not leaving enough space to finish them with my sewing machine. It was one of those great learning moments, I will not make that mistake again.

I took a deep breath and got on with the hand sewing. I used lots of pink binding to coordinate with the fabric and added a zipper pocket to the front. The whole thing now makes me think of a giant piece of Bubblicious bubblegum.

Detail shot of some of the hand stitching
My first ever zipper pocket
 Strap detail & pink binding sewn on by hand

I used the bag for the first time today and I think it's great! It's big enough to fit books or groceries and the fact that it's quilted should make it sturdy enough to carry those heavy things. It took a lot longer than anticipated but I'm really proud of my bubblicious bag.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job! Your post the other day about using patterns for bags reminded me of a book I looked at once and quickly decided I was in no way ready for - Carry Me by Yuka Koshizen (http://www.amazon.com/Carry-Me-Yuka-Koshizen/dp/1596681845/ref=pd_sim_b_12). If your library has it, I remember it being quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fab! Amazing fabric too :)

    ReplyDelete