My little nephew arrives tomorrow for his first visit and I've finished his quilt just in time. This is a dinosaur themed baby quilt with a flannel back (details on the fabric and pattern can be found in this post). It was the perfect opportunity to try my new free motion quilting skills on a real project.
The last few months of the Free Motion Project Quilt Along have focused on perfecting stippling, and that's the design I decided to use for this quilt. I'm so proud to have completely quilted this blanket myself! I had a few problems with scale and with forming nice curves, but none of that matters to a seven month old. Overall it looks great, and is really soft and cuddly.
I quilted the seams and corners as much as possible, then double stitched the binding onto the edges in hopes that it will stand up to multiple washings. When I was a littl'un, I had a white Winnie the Pooh blankie. It was dragged around in the dirt, cried over, thrown up on, and its silk ribbon edge was sucked until the ink wore off. I will be extremely happy if this blankie has a similar fate.
Here is what the finished quilt looks like. (Sigmund knew he wasn't allowed to cuddle up on this one, but he did come and give it the once-over to make sure it was up to his standards.)