Saturday, 5 May 2012

Opinions from the Kitchen: Cinnamon Treats

When I was young, I used to wonder why there was syrup for mixing chocolate milk and syrup for mixing strawberry milk (yuck), but no syrup for cinnamon milk. I imagined that cinnamon milk would taste just like a liquid version of cinnamon toast. I set about experimenting to see if I could create this wonderful stuff myself.

My first attempts (ground cinnamon dumped into a glass of milk) were a failure. Cinnamon will not mix with cold milk, period. My ice cream experiments worked better. And I soon discovered that you could use it in icing as well. I still love to make cinnamon flavoured desserts. Someday, I will share my sour cream & cinnamon icing recipe for apple pie.

In the meantime, here are some cinnamon treats to take along on a picnic or share with your barbecue guests this summer.


Cinnamon Rice Krispie Squares

Regular Rice Krispie squares are pretty good. The chocolate chip version isn't bad either, but wait until you try them with cinnamon!

To make these, simply follow the recipe on the box (or your favourite variation of it). Once the marshmallows are melted, add 1.5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and mix well. Then proceed to add the cereal as per the recipe.

These are easy to make and there's very little clean-up required so you can easily whip up a few batches for a party. They disappear quickly at our place.




Cinnamon Blondies

There was no way I could pass up this recipe from the Kitchenarian. Her little cinnamon squares looked like heaven.

This was rather work intensive for a small pan of blondies, but they melt so easily in your mouth that you won't even notice you've grabbed a second one. I found the cinnamon flavour to be very mild though, and since this is a post about cinnamoney goodness I recommend that you throw in some more for good measure.

It's a fact that blondies will never be able to match the ooey-gooey fudginess of brownies. I won't try to convince you that brownies-level satisfaction can be reached without chocolate. However, if you're craving a toffee square with a slight hint of cinnamon, check these out.


Coffee Cake or Muffins

This coffee cake was featured in my 2011 Cake Review, but I felt it deserved another mention since it's such a favourite. It is the full sized version of Martha Stewart's Coffee Cake Muffins.

It's two layers of moist sour cream cake topped with cinnamon crumble. You have to bake the cake much longer than you would the muffins, and it's a little bit tricky to get out of the pan without ruining the cinnamon topping, but it has been well worth it every time.

For the muffin version, be sure to give yourself an extra half hour to divide the batter and topping into 24 parts to fill your muffin cups. It's worth it when you want to give them away. Who doesn't love receiving a mini coffee cake?


1 comment:

  1. I love all things cinnamon, thanks for sharing, these all look so good! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=3188 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete