Friday, 18 May 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Rainbow Star Revisit

Amy's Creative SideIf you are here visiting as part of the Blogger's Quilt Festival, welcome! This is my first time participating, and I am looking forward to being inspired by everyone's favourite quilts.

I've been quilting for less than a year, but thanks to the wonderful resources available online and at my local quilt shop I've made tremendous progress in that short time and impressed myself quite a bit. Every quilt has been a learning experience, and I've received plenty of support from family, friends, and fellow bloggers. The Rainbow Star mini quilt I chose for the festival is the one that most reflects that support.


This quilt was made for the aunt who taught me to use a sewing machine when I was ten. Over the next couple of years, we made many things together: pants, vests, cushions, curtains, and a crazy elaborate gown with faux-corset top and a twelve foot hemline for a medieval themed wedding.

Throughout her life, my aunt has done a lot of sewing for herself and for others, but with retirement has come the switch to painting and piano playing. Since she is no longer sewing, she decided to offer me her entire fabric stash! Here's a small sample of what I brought home in my suitcase:


If you've been following my blog, chances are that you've seen quite a few of these fabrics make their way into my projects. See those Care Bears on the bottom right? That's an original series print from the 80's! I have a special use in mind for them soon...

As a thank you, I chose some solids to coordinate with my aunt's bright polka-dot print and jumped right in to a complicated project without a pattern. A few tricky diamonds and Y-seams later, I had a full lone star! It measures 30" square. Can you believe that I actually managed to align all of those points after quilting for less than six months?


This quilt was my entry for the Modern Mini Quilt Challenge in March. Here is a detail shot of the straight line quilting and stippling (my first on a real quilt). I absolutely love the rainbow binding as well.


As soon as I was done, I rolled this up and shipped it to my aunt with a thank you letter. She was very moved and has decided to hang it up even though it doesn't match at all with her décor. There will definitely be Sunbonnet Sue placemats heading her way eventually too as I continue to practice and improve.

20 comments:

  1. It's a small quilt for such a detailed pattern. And definitely this is not an easy pattern for a beginner quilter. It turned out wonderful, congratulations. You coordinated the fabrics so well, love the binding too!
    Wonderful little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the quilt is beautiful. I tried a lonestar, once. They are hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am seriously impressed. Lone Stars are challenging. I especially love the bright happy colors-- they do indeed complement that big polka dot really nicely. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your points are perfect! I've been quilting for years and still have trouble with that. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! Especially the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome binding!

    Hope you visit my blog too,

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great first impression! I too learned to sew from a beloved aunt, so I understand where you come from!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh by the way, have you discovered The Needle and Thread Network? It is a Link up every Wednesday for Canadian Blogs (I have a link to it on my sidebar if you go visit my blog) We would love to see you there any Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure your aunt is thrilled with this quilt, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful job love the binding
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice story! Doesn't it feel great when your work is so appreciated?
    But I do understand how you feel about her and all she taught you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous and bright. That's a great thank you present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What brilliant colors! And oh those straight lines! well, done! April @Little Mama hen

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely! Yea for stipling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic quilt! Love the colors. The binding is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quilt - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice quilt! how sweet to give it to your aunt. always love stars done in any way. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and fun colors! Love the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just a plain fun quilt! The backing and the binding only added to it. Thank you for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you did a Lone Star already?! I've been quilting 14 years and I'm still too chicken to try it. It's beautiful and you did a terrific job with it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete