Sunday, 15 April 2012

Spirals and Butterflies for Animal Rescue

This week I got a chance to try out Don Linn's Free Motion Quilting Challenge technique for making stencils. I chose a design from Don's book Free-Motion Machine Quilting, which is filled with great quilting designs, and transferred it to some see through fabric with a sharpie. Here is my stencil:


In order to practice my free motion quilting this year, I've been creating a series of security blankets for rescued cats, inspired by the Snuggles Project. All of the blankets will be donated to a local animal rescue organization at the end of the year. These are the flannels I put together for this blanket:


I transferred the butterfly design to the blanket with a water soluble marker. Some of the permanent ink transferred as well, since I didn't heat seal my stencil with an iron, but that's not tragic. (My iron shattered when my lovely kitty pushed it off the ironing board a few days before. *sigh*) I quilted the butterflies in black thread to make them stand out and hide the black ink underneath. It worked pretty well.


I filled the area around the butterflies with some spirals from last month's challenge, and used spiral flowers over the rest of the blanket.

spirals
spiral flowers
I think this turned out really cute, but I'll have to revisit the stencil technique now that the iron situation is resolved. Drawing spirals used a lot more thread than I was expecting. If I ever use these on a large size project, I will space them out a lot more.

Here is the finished blanket, ready to provide kitty comfort!



2 comments:

  1. Love your butterflies and swirls. And thank you so much for linking up! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - I think I will have to try this too!!! I love butterflies :)

    ReplyDelete