Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Sharp Stippling for Animal Rescue

This week's Free Motion Quilting Project exercise was to master sharp stippling, a pointy design with that creates a flame effect. This was the perfect thing to practice on a kitty rescue blanket, inspired by the Snuggles Project.

I chose these two flannels for this blanket. The navy blue was sent to me by Kris and Duke and it's an excellent contrast to all of the printed fabrics I've been using.


I started off with very simple points on the first row and gradually started experimenting with different pointy shapes. I have to admit that I thought this design was pretty ugly while I was stitching it. The shapes were awkward and wasn't sure there was any way it would end up looking in any way 'flamey'. But lo and behold, once I had fit a few rows together it started looking just right. I really like how it turned out!


The is the finished blanket. You can see my awkward start on the left side develop into some pretty cool rows of flame by the middle. I will definitely use this again when I need to add a manly touch to something quilted.


7 comments:

  1. It leaves a really fun overall look. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your sharp stipples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really nice! Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. At first I was like, hmmmm, IDK how this is going to look. But then I got done, and I thought, wow, this is pretty cool! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job. yeah.....I think I'll like it once I practice it a bit more - especially like you said for a 'manly' look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sharp stippling looks great!

    ReplyDelete