The goal was to finish my wholecloth quilt for the Free Motion Project Quilt Along by filling in all of the white space with tiny little stippling. This may not seem like much, since my practice quilt is the size of a place-mat, but the same amount of stitching on a bigger scale could probably cover a queen size bedspread. I spent about an hour a day stippling, and each hour's work filled a few square inches.
With each day of practice, I was able to stitch smaller and more smoothly. The difference is really noticeable when you look at my starting point in the middle. At the time, that was the smallest stitching I could manage, but as I got better I started having the opposite problem and had to be careful to keep the stitching big enough to match the rest of the quilt. I also figured out that using longer lines very close together amounted to less work than shorter very squiggly lines.
My stitching is still jagged and irregular. Luckily the best way to make ugly stitches look good is to put a lot of them very close together. There are way too many lines here for the eye to detect a problem with any particular one. My next stippling goal will be to make rounder and more regular shapes. I will be referring to the beautiful stippling shapes of Philippa Naylor for inspiration.
There are just a few finishing touches before this little quilt is fully finished and ready to hang on the wall next week!