Wednesday, 4 April 2012

I Dream of Stipple


I think my experience from last week's microstippling exercise is best expressed in the form of a Memebase comic. (If you're not familiar with the 'All the Things!' meme, see more examples here.) I made this after waking from a dream that involved running around a stipple maze with no exit. The lesson here: don't drink and stipple before bed.

The goal was to finish my wholecloth quilt for the Free Motion Project Quilt Along by filling in all of the white space with tiny little stippling. This may not seem like much, since my practice quilt is the size of a place-mat, but the same amount of stitching on a bigger scale could probably cover a queen size bedspread. I spent about an hour a day stippling, and each hour's work filled a few square inches.


With each day of practice, I was able to stitch smaller and more smoothly. The difference is really noticeable when you look at my starting point in the middle. At the time, that was the smallest stitching I could manage, but as I got better I started having the opposite problem and had to be careful to keep the stitching big enough to match the rest of the quilt. I also figured out that using longer lines very close together amounted to less work than shorter very squiggly lines.

My stitching is still jagged and irregular. Luckily the best way to make ugly stitches look good is to put a lot of them very close together. There are way too many lines here for the eye to detect a problem with any particular one. My next stippling goal will be to make rounder and more regular shapes. I will be referring to the beautiful stippling shapes of Philippa Naylor for inspiration.

There are just a few finishing touches before this little quilt is fully finished and ready to hang on the wall next week!

15 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the way you've taken the basic concept of Leah's sample whole cloth pattern and made it your own. The skills employed are still the same, but it's so much more personal and idiosyncratic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it.. like that you made it 'different' but using the same techniques :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific! I've loved your project from the beginning, and now seeing it outlined with stippling just makes me smile.

    You definitely gave me the best laugh of the day. Don't drink and stipple before bed. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking forward to seeing this one! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!

    The micro stippling does take an amazing amount of time. Surprisingly though, I didn't seem to have to change my bobbin as often as I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous finished quilt. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! your first paragraph is hilarious!! I love how it has turned out! And.. You get extra points for originality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that you would remark about packing a ton of stitches in a small space and you really can't see how they are shaped! Mine really got MICRO stippled!! Probably a little on the too small side..hehe! I,too, will have to work on regular, rounded/smoother stippling. Definitely flattened out the appropriate areas! On to the finish! Hugs, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looks so beautiful! I have done a lot of stipple quilting in my sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been waiting to see this one! Very cool! Your stippling is so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Looks great! Your extra stitching really makes this shine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woot Woot! Great job on the wholecloth quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is darling! You really did a great job! - Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. MC your quilt and microstippling looks awesome. It came out really good :-).
    My microstippling aren't as dense as yours, I guess I got carried away in the borders with the available space.

    Love the comic too :-)

    ReplyDelete