Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Little Cones Ready for Stippling

This week as part of the Free Motion Project quilt along, I outlined all of the elements of my little traffic cone wholecloth with thread. I used white thread to contrast with the orange background.

The problem, of course, is that in order to keep things from wrinkling, you have to start in the middle. This means that your worst sewing is going to end up being in the focus area of the quilt. By the time you've made your way out to the edges, you're in the groove and much more familiar with the shapes, so those less important areas come out looking better.

This is how my middle design came out on the first pass:


They were recognizable as traffic cones, which is pretty good, but they looked pretty chewed up. Most of the problem areas are where I stopped and started the machine to readjust the fabric. I didn't want the focus point of the design to look so uneven, so I traced around the cones a second time to fill in the bumps. (You'll have to ignore the white splotches on the fabric, those are starch and should disappear once I soak this in some water at the end.)


Just as I'd hoped, the extra thread outline evened out all of the cones, making them look far better. I had to resist the urge to trace around everything else too. Next week I'll be filling in all of the open space inside the centre and around the objects with stippling. This should make the design stand out and all of the uneven stitching less obvious.

I've been enjoying this project a lot. Here is what the full quilt looks like so far:


11 comments:

  1. I love it! Can't wait to see it finished!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such fun! Interesting how much difference the second pass made. Thanks for your comment on my blog earlier - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, MC, I love the rebel in you that allowed you to come up with your on design - especially the irony of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo hoo! I love your traffic cones! You're right - double outlines sure do make the motifs stand out wonderfully and it hides most small wiggles as well. It's always a balance between time and the finishing look. Wait until you've stippled within each area and you may want to go back and add more stitching, or you may feel it has a balanced effect. Either way, you've certainly created a fun and interesting quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me parecen muy divertidos estos conos de tráfico. Tengo curiosidad por ver como sigue. Buen trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've often thought that same thing about beginning in the middle. My center heart motif isn't nearly as good as the corner motifs. Having said that...I love your traffic cones! They look great! Such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so much fun! I really love your traffic wholecloth quilt. I think its came out really good. Can't wait to see it microstippled around the cones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! that's a great looking wholecloth quilt. I love the double outlining!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go!!! I love your creativity and originality! I, also, thought that the center is the focus and that is/was the starting point----somewhat intimidating. I kept telling myself it's ok to "not be perfect (or even close) as this is a learning piece" but it is a struggle to believe it!! I really am enjoying the exercise, though. Can't wait to see the finish...hugs, Doreen

    ReplyDelete