Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Hearts and Stars for Animal Rescue

This month's guest expert for the Free Motion Quilting Challenge provided lots of great resources, including four all-over quilting design ideas that I really liked. They all seemed to lend themselves really well to my kitty blanket project, so I decided to create two blankets with which to practice. These will be donated to help abandoned cats at a local animal rescue centre. To find out how you can help, visit the Snuggles Project.

These are the flannels I put together for the loopy designs blanket:


I've used basic loop stippling in the past, but the task this time was to add in shapes to make it more interesting. On one half I drew stars. I spent so many hours drawing these in the margins of my high school notebooks that I found it easy to draw them with thread. This design is really cute!


On the other half I drew hearts, which were a little bit harder. They came out looking like a slightly better version of the heart shaped leaves from month one, which I'm very happy with.


I didn't end up liking the black thread that I used for this blanket. I could never quite get the tension right, so the stitching ends up looking a little bit more jerky than it should. Luckily the kitty who ends up snuggling with this blanket will not care one bit. Here is the finished blanket with hearts on the left and stars on the right:


Stay tuned to see blanket number two, coming soon, featuring spiral designs and more cute fabrics spiral designs.

1 comment:

  1. Hello MC, Your fmq stars, hearts and loop de lous are wonderful. Good job, bravo...well done!

    ReplyDelete