Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Improved Stippling for the Humane Society

This is my second creation as part of Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project. Thanks to everyone who has been stopping by to offer their encouragement and tips on how to fix the issues I've had with my sewing machine. Following that advice, I've started paying much more attention to my bobbin and found a giant ball of fluff hiding under the casing, out of sight. Things started to go much better after I dug it out. I'm happy to report that I was able to finish my first kitty blanket without any more problems.

Here are the flannels I chose for the front and back of the newest blanket, which will also be donated to abandoned cats at the humane society through the Snuggles Project.



I incorporated the last two weeks' stippling exercises in the quilting of this blanket. The first element was to quilt in rows, rather than just filling up the space at random, and the second was to experiment with scale. For this, I created a grid with different sized rows on my blanket using pins.


Then I filled each quadrant with a different size pattern:

This is a sample of the large scale

This is a sample of the medium scale

This is a sample of the small scale

Overall, I did find it much easier and quicker to quilt in rows than to move around at random. Using pins to create the grid also meant that I wasn't having to move them around or sew over them all the time and that was a big help too. I will definitely stick with this technique.

In terms of scale, the large pattern was too hard to control, and the small one was tedious. (Leah, you must have boundless patience to quilt so small!) The medium scale pattern is my Goldilocks zone.

This is the finished blanket:

6 comments:

  1. I think it is so cool that you are donating these practice blankets. Your FMQ looks great and I agree with your goldilocks analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fabric (and of course your fmq praxis) are so cute. There comes Hippos song in my mind: the lion sleeps tonight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RxTM36VKUY
    many greetings from Nuremberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! Your stitch length looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching is looking great, and I too love the hippos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute hippos! and good stitching too. Isn't it funny how the same stippling pattern can feel so different by just changing size? I think I'm more at home on the smaller side, although my impatience pushes me to go bigger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goldilocks zone - I Love it! I'm definitely going to start calling it that - not too big, not too small, just right is Goldilocks zone!

    You're doing great and congrats on finding the scale that works good for you.

    ReplyDelete