This is my second creation as part of Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project. Thanks to everyone who has been stopping by to offer their encouragement and tips on how to fix the issues I've had with my sewing machine. Following that advice, I've started paying much more attention to my bobbin and found a giant ball of fluff hiding under the casing, out of sight. Things started to go much better after I dug it out. I'm happy to report that I was able to finish my first kitty blanket without any more problems.
Here are the flannels I chose for the front and back of the newest blanket, which will also be donated to abandoned cats at the humane society through the Snuggles Project.
I incorporated the last two weeks' stippling exercises in the quilting of this blanket. The first element was to quilt in rows, rather than just filling up the space at random, and the second was to experiment with scale. For this, I created a grid with different sized rows on my blanket using pins.
Then I filled each quadrant with a different size pattern:
|This is a sample of the large scale|
|This is a sample of the medium scale|
|This is a sample of the small scale|
Overall, I did find it much easier and quicker to quilt in rows than to move around at random. Using pins to create the grid also meant that I wasn't having to move them around or sew over them all the time and that was a big help too. I will definitely stick with this technique.
In terms of scale, the large pattern was too hard to control, and the small one was tedious. (Leah, you must have boundless patience to quilt so small!) The medium scale pattern is my Goldilocks zone.