Monday, 5 December 2011

Just Learned About Zentangle

I came across the term 'Zentangle' last week in the context of a threadplay technique on fabric. I had never seen the word, so I looked it up. The idea behind Zentangle is that you learn to relax by drawing intricate repetitive shapes and patterns. I've been doing this for years, but never knew it was actually a thing!

This is an example of a repetitive pattern I enjoy drawing:

In Zentangle, each type of pattern (or 'tangle') has a name. There are basic tangle patterns, and new ones being invented all the time, like Mooka and Punzel. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that there are 'Certified Zentangle Teachers' and that money is being charged to learn this type of drawing. Maybe that's mainly because I have 10 years worth of notebooks filled with this stuff, and I'm sad that I can't fully think of it as 'original' anymore. That being said, I get as intensely absorbed in this type of drawing as if it were meditation and I'm glad that other people are learning to benefit from it too.

Here are a few more pages from my notebook using similar patterns to the bleeding heart above. All drawings from this post were done with a black ballpoint pen in Hilroy spiral notebooks.




I have a tattoo on my back that incorporates the swirley/flamey pattern, and another drawing favourite, the celtic knot. At some point, I will narrow it down to my favourite 20 knots or so for your viewing pleasure.

My other favourite is a triangle based design that I've used to create everything from stickers to paintings to mugs... not pictured here, since I've given almost all of those pieces away over the years. Wish I'd thought to take more pictures, but of course no one ever thought of that in the pre-digital age. Guess I'll just have to draw more!

No comments:

Post a Comment