Friday, 11 November 2011

Houndstooth Turtles Mini Quilt

This is a project that I've been working on over the past month or so, and while it's not quite finished, I just couldn't wait to show it off. The pink and green fabrics are scraps from some previous baby shower gift projects. 

I started out by cutting my solid squares, and then made a long tube with one strip of green and one strip of pink on each side that I cut at a 45 degree angle to get alternating squares. This turned out to be a mistake, because I soon realized that my stripey squares were quite a bit bigger than my solid squares, and I didn't have enough leftover fabric to re-cut them. Oops!


Once all of the blocks were assembled I gave the quilt a trim, and luckily the overall pattern worked out just fine. You might notice that the pink hounds' ears turned out a little bit bigger than the green ones after trimming, but that's just fine with me! The pink is meant to be the focus anyway. I picked some cute little teddy bears to use for the back, but then I decided that it needed something more funky, and that's when I got the idea for turtles.

I cut some circles and triangles out of scraps of brown and green felt, and hand embroidered a spiral on each big circle to give it that turtle shell feel. I then added some black felt eyes to the green circles, and settled down to do some hand applique while rewatching season 7 of Buffy. Many, many episodes later, I've got a completed quilt top! Here it is:

The batting and binding are already cut out, but I can't get started on the quilting since the free motion foot that I ordered for my sewing machine hasn't arrived yet. This will be my first attempt at free motion quilting and I'm very much looking forward to it. The final result should be posted soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment